If you have found a way to make social media work for you, that is great news! However, are you maximizing the power of your social media marketing?
How well are you using demographics in your social media engagement? Demographics should have a part to play in planning your social media engagement strategies.
Statistics gives you the power to make better marketing decisions. From your choice of social media platform to how you can plan your social media strategies, statistics have a major role to play.
What are the essential social media statistics you should know in 2020? I’ll walk you through some important demographics of social media you should know in 2020.
Total Social Media Users
More than half the world’s population uses social media in 2020. In actual numbers, over 4.57 billion people use the internet. Out of that number:
- Over 3.96 billion people are active on social media. That’s about 51% of the world’s population.
- There has been a 10.5% growth in the number of social media users between last year and this year.
- When broken down in age, 48.2% of baby boomers, 77.5% of Generation X-ers, and 90.24% of millennials use social media.
- About 99% of people who use social media access the platforms via a mobile device.
- However, three-quarters of social media users still access social media using laptop and desktop computers.
- The average internet user spends about 6 hours and 43 minutes daily online.
- On average, each person spends 2 hours and 24 minutes on social media daily.
- Facebook is the most used social media platform, with an average of 2.7 billion monthly users.
Let’s take this a bit further and give the demographics of major social media channels. This will help you in your decision-making process.
Facebook Demographics You Should Know
By the end of the second quarter of 2020, Facebook was the leading social media. The platform has over 2.7 billion monthly active users and active daily users of about 1.79 billion. Let’s break this down further.
Facebook Age Demographics
- 51% of people aged 13 to 17 use Facebook.
- 76% of people aged 18 to 24 use Facebook.
- 84% of people aged 25 to 30 use the platform.
- 79% of people aged 30 to 49 use Facebook.
- 68% of people aged 50 to 64 use Facebook.
- 46% of people aged 65+ use Facebook.
Facebook Nationality Demographics
- India has the largest Facebook population, with over 290 million users.
- The second leading country is the United States, with around 190 million users.
- 74% of Facebook users log-in at least once a day.
Facebook Education Demographics
- 61% of people with just high school education or less use Facebook.
- 75% of people with some college education use the platform
- 74% of people with college degrees use Facebook.
Facebook Income Demographics
- 74% of people making over $75,000 use Facebook.
- About 72% of people earning between $30,000 and $75,000 use Facebook
- 69% of those making less than $30,000 use Facebook.
Other Statistics to Consider
- About half a billion people view Facebook stories daily
- 15% of Facebook users shop on the platform
- On average, Facebook users click on about 11 ads each month.
There is a high probability that your ideal customers are on this platform. You just have to find and connect with them. If you are looking for help with your Facebook marketing, this Facebook marketing course can help you with that.
Instagram Demographics You Should Know
Instagram is one of the leading social media channels, and while its reach might not be as broad as Facebook, the platform is quite impressive. Below are the essential statistics that you should know about Instagram.
Instagram Gender and Age Demographics
- 43% of females are on the platform.
- Only 31% of males are on the platform.
- About 72% of 13 to 17 years old are active on the platform.
- Only about 8% of 65+ people use the platform.
That means there are more younger people on the platform.
Instagram Nationality and Income Demographics
- The United States has the most users on the platform, with about 130 million users.
- This is followed by India, with about 100 million users.
- 42% of people making over $75,000 use the platform.
- 39% of people making $30,000 to $75,000 use the platform.
- About 35% of people making less than $30,000 use the platform.
Instagram Education Demographics
- 43% of people with more than a college degree are active on Instagram
- 37% of people with some college education are on Instagram
- 33% of people with high school education or less use Instagram.
Twitter Demographics You Should Know
While Twitter statistics are lower than Facebook and Instagram, it is also an excellent choice for your brand. Here are the things you should know.
Twitter Age Demographics
- The highest age group using Twitter is between 18 and 24; about 44% of that group are on Twitter.
- Only about 7% of people aged 65+ are on Twitter.
Twitter is also targeted at younger generations. Other statistics you should know include:
Twitter Nationality and Income Demographics
- Most Twitter users live outside the United States, with about 262 million out of the 330 million active users living outside of the United States.
- 31% of people making over $75,000 use Twitter.
- 20% of people making $30,000 to $70,000 are active on Twitter.
- 20% of people making less than $30,000 are on Twitter.
Twitter Education Demographics
- Only 13% of people with a high school education or less are on Twitter.
- 24% of people with some college education use Twitter.
- 32% of people with more than a college education are on Twitter.
Pinterest Demographics You Should Know
Although Pinterest is not as popular as Facebook and Instagram, it is a great place to connect with your target audience, especially females. Here are some demographics you should know:
Pinterest Gender and Purpose Demographics
- 71% of the global Pinterest users are female, and only 29% are male.
- 85% of women on Pinterest use it to plan essential things such as food, outfits, interior decoration, and more.
- 58% of Pinterest users say it helps them make shopping decisions.
Pinterest Age and Nationality Demographics
- 52% of millennials use Pinterest every month.
- Over 50% of Pinterest users are based outside the United States.
- 85% of Pinterest users access the platform from mobile devices.
Other statistics to Consider
- 85% of the users consider visuals first when searching the platform, especially for clothing, shoes, furniture, and interior décor.
- 82% of weekly active Pinterest users say they purchased products based on their research on Pinterest.
There you have it! These are the essential demographics you should know to improve your social media marketing.